Sunday 17 March 2013

How To Stop Bra Straps Falling Down!

Before I was fitted into my bra size (based off something crazy like my measurements), New Look were the only shop that actually had bras that were unpadded (sometimes), not designed for old women and I could squeeze myself into (sometimes). I had a balonette that was deep pink that wore until it fell apart. The straps were always falling down - because the bra was far too small and it was so old the straps had forgot what elasticity was.

I remember I was after this guy and the most common thing he used to say to me always arrogantly, (except perhaps concern over how I knew his schedule off my heart!) was: "your bra strap is down again".


I wonder if he thought that I was trying to seduce him with my weird and tattered pink and purple straps. In a fit of frustration I used overweight baggage tape to hold the straps together.Yes. Overweight baggage.

This is the most frequent bra fitting problem I see. In fact, my friends have asked me to fix their bra straps, because I am the mysterious lingerie expert and that's where my skills lie. Every time I suggest they should also tighten the back. The ALWAYS whine that makes no sense and make it worse.

Actually, tightening the bra straps makes the problem of loose bra straps worse.

Yes! A bra is a system - every part is linked. Here's the real solution.

A bra's back should be tight. Really tight. Think how tight a bra should be and forget that. Tighter. Very tight.

This keeps the straps in place. When a bra is too loose (i.e. all my friends bras) the back crawls upwards. This makes the straps rise of the shoulders. When you tighten your straps, the bra back crawls upwards... then your straps fall down.

The solution is to tighten the back of your bra. Well, this isn't usually enough. The solution is a bra that is much larger in the cup and tighter in the band. Try tightening your back band and then tightening your straps. Then scoop yourself into your bra. Are you everywhere from Cork to Derry (think that was a metaphor)? Yeah, that bra is wrong.

A second reason is that cup is too small. Coupled with loose bands, the weight of the breasts drags up the band... and the straps fall down. Those friends would refuse to believe their breasts weigh anything because they believe they have no breasts... errr no. I've seen you trapped in clothes because of your breasts just like me... ;)

I know some people have sloping shoulders, and yes that does effect bra strap security. But when I refitted my mother and my best friend they both told me their bra straps mysteriously stopped falling down.

Anyways, if you want to learn more check out the Bra Matrix and My Wife is Busty Fitting Guide. I won't be making my own fitting guide because I believe these two are great and I don't think at the moment I can do anything better. But I implore you to check it out! You WON'T regret it. Overweight baggage tape is not something that can look cute with a frilly dress. Go on. Go on.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing these tips. But I guess bra straps that keep on falling is a sign that your bra wants to retire. It is a sign that it is already old. And I guess it would really help if you have the bra that really fits your size.
    BraEssentials.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bra straps can be bothersome at times. They fall on your shoulders, or they just look too awkward when wearing certain outfits.Better yet, not only will it improve - but it also creates a better mood and self-esteem in women significantly. Not only it gives you the feeling of confidence in a more attractive appearance, but it also allows you to wear clothing that would otherwise be consigned to remain in the closet. Soutien-gorge bretelles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late to the party here, but yeah its a common problem, for me I notice it on my sister so often, no matter what she is doing bra straps keep randomly falling down her arm and since she wears sleeveless they visible, once or twice its been discussed and the short answer of what she told me is she has trouble finding bras to be comfortable, when she finds one, she wears it day in day out, and the straps get worn out, but she doesnt care, because if the rest of the bra works well for her she can just pull her bra straps back up when they fall and if other people have issues with that its their problem, I accepted her point. For special events she just uses paper clips to keep them up so its not a problem.

    ReplyDelete