Tuesday 12 March 2013

Full-Slip Ups

From my previous post on bodies I have turned to slips, something else that has just no love.When I suggest to my friends they wear that dress with a slip they say, for example: "my mother wears them under her dresses when she goes out clubbing". Their mothers go out clubbing? Actually, my mum knows a 93 year old who goes out clubbing. Just because your foremothers wore slips doesn't make them valid items of clothing. We still wear vests and socks right, and slips are sexy sexy sexy and warm. Me and liking things warm.


I agree with their motto saving discarded treasures, and a lot of slips are like this! This amazing full-slip is from

A winter ago Penneys (or to U.K viewers, Primark/everyone else Ireland's cheapest chain store) stocked many beautiful cottony slips with lace trimmings. I only purchased a black one but a week later I spied a candyfloss pink and a deep grey. I didn't buy them. Penneys has only sold generic beige and black synthetic   slips since. While I am happy they are a place to purchase budget slips, they are not as attractive or as warm. I have searched other stores, but I have met my one true enemy... designated boob gaps.



*thundercrack*

I've heard that most clothing is made on a mannequin that has about 2 inches extra space for breasts. I need about 10 inches, so it wrinkles up, it's lumpy, why? Even the women who could ft doesn't mean it flatters them, because I don't know... they wear something called bras, nullifing the need for this designated space?

In short, it requires extra sewing to make something less flattering.

Thus, my slip search has been one that has been marred by this. I'm sorry to yack on, but the one thing that is just nonsensical from Refinery 29's otherwise quite succinct and informed article on the subject is the fact they say they provide support for "busty women". Because they really don't - unless (which is very rare, they are underwired). I love slips a lot, they are very useful, but that is not what they do.

 The Cocoa Black White slip by StyleBari. Look at the model. Look at her determination. This is how I would feel in a beautifully coloured yet rather practical slip.

Leaving that tangent (linking to another article on the same subject, am I mad?), here are the following things that I love about slips.

1. Cost-saving -

A slip is a timeless investment, it really can't date (particularly if you don't show anyone it!) Slips prevent your dresses from stinking up from wear, allow you to wear your summer wardrobe all winter long and a well placed slip can change an outfit. For example, I have a magnolia bird print dress. With a black lacy slip underneath, black tights, ox blood boots and a maroon cardigan it gains some edge. Alternatively, with a pink block slip you can add a higher neckline and re purpose it as something tweer and wear what it to a conservative family event. Saved buying two dresses, eh?
Actually, a slip can be worn as a dress on its own for the brave (preferably a non-sheer one! I'll be honest, also preferably with a cardigan, but maybe this is a tad biased as I'm just not a massive underwear as outerwear fan!). I've done this when I've learnt male friends dresses and then I walked around in my slip!

2. Warm -


Layering on the slips not only rescues colder dresses, it also can be used as a way to warm up. A slip with adjustable straps can be pulled up as high as you like without exposing your mid-section to nightmarish cold. All this without the bulk of the vest-tucking scenario. You will also look less like you're swaddled in jackets and coats. A disadvantage is anything with indoor heating... oh god...

3. Double as nightwear in summer -

On the other hand, if the Irish summer shows, take solace being a 1940s film star for that night. Then you'll have to back to your tiger onsie you purchased (you can't remember) at Oxegen while drunk for for the remaining 11 months and 29 days or so. Well, I don't know how else you got that onsie.

 Featured: Your shame and my non-sequitor.

3. Coverage -

The real reason slips are slippy so that your dresses/skirts will not cling to your crotch if they are unlined. Another reason I have availed off - if you aren't much of a cleavage person, you can use your slip to hide cleavage if you accidentaly wear your Deco and end up a business dinner. I think this looks particularly lovely with the beautiful patterns slips come in. They also hide your frilly patterned bras.


Smouldering lady in purple bra.

 Well, I thought this was a causal event... maybe I should have brought my slip, but I'm so damn smouldering. [The Freya Deco in Iris, available in about 28-36 D-GG, but nonsensically not every size in that range...]


I hope I have convinced you to give slips a try. Nothing makes you feel like an extra from Upstairs Downstairs than shrieking "my slip is showing".

No comments:

Post a Comment