Tuesday 12 March 2013

In the red corner: Soft Cups! Moulded Cups v Soft Cups

Moulded Bras v. Soft Cup Bras: The Showdown.

I've decided to make my first bra post be a bit lighter. 

Me and a close friend of mine have one big disagreement over bras - I like soft cup, she likes moulded/padded bras. 

So to settle this dispute, I have decided to frame our argument the only way it can be settled. She draws a soft-cup bra protagonist in the most girly way possible and I will design a moulded-cup protagonist in a comprising position on an unicorn.  No wait, that sounds familiar.

I'd like to mention she is about a 30E/F and I am about a 28GG. So we are similar enough in size, though our difference could lie in her love of cleavage and the fact I'm not into showing it. 

Soft-Cup Bras:

1. Soft-Cup bras do not look like they could belong to your milliner. 

I don't know what size moulded bras come to life. 

Ergo... I believe Freya actually a reason for this discrepancy... 


This season too!? Is Freya Taylor 28GG mean death in some foreign language?


Thankfully this amazing soft-cup number is available up to a K! (well not 38 JJ/K!). Not the same can be said about their lovely moulded up offering... only available in 30 backs and in much smaller cups!

(Why, it isn't just some silly size-phobia rooted in the fact they use the Plus 5 method after all.)

Moulded bras can be swarming bats crawling up the inside of your wardrobe. It must depends on the brand. I will say that moulded cups in my size are very hard to store (I find it very hard to close my drawer). This can make the cups appear massive as they can't be neatly folded away.

Simply saying that you can store more soft-cup bras, so you can buy more. Not to mention, they can't be used to smother said near friend as easily. 

3. Give a more natural shape/Padding is the be-all and end all.

Moulded bras scare me cos they scream Penneys/Primark 34B ultra-quilted bras which are more padding than cup. 

What is wrong with the actual (slightly pointed) shape of my breasts? What's wrong with perky, why distort them into a round shape? What I'm saying is that is possible to get a lifted shape through unmoulded bras too. 

I once read a book where the protagonist put two mircowavable soup packets down her top! I didn't end up too badly, the other party-goers assumed she threw up, not that her chest exploded! 

Finally, (if the previous paragraph hasn't caused you to burn every paddable bra you own as a preventive measure so that one day you don't go crazy wake up and decide to put Knorrs' soup into them) - you have been warned - give in and let them stay causal.

From that monologue, if you haven't lost me, I like the slightly pointed shape soft bras give. They're causal but they're still supportive.

If you'd like to see someone who rocks this look, I'd check out Undiegamer. :)

4. They exclude a grown-up aura.

Lacy soft cup bras are subtle, but attractive. When they're slightly see-through, it's a look from the grown ups! Our bras aren't from Penneys. Our bras aren't covered in hearts or spaceships with a racerback. We are fully fledged adults. Someone give me an adult card! Even when they're nude, they don't look like they're vying for all the attention. Check out this nude bra  from Avocado, which I saw featured on Bra Fitting Cicade. It looks amazing in her pictures, it is a must see!

This picture is from Avocado's official website. The bra is called the Charlotte. I'd give the sizes but they're all through the link, but remember they are in EU sizes. :) 

Could such a effect be made with a moulded bra? 

5. Easier to fit.

Moulded bras also can be moulded to a shapes that, at least in my own experience can be hard to fit. I tried on a 30FF moulded bra in TK Maxx recently and it the cups were like huge flat sheets over my breasts that still remained far too small! I'd love to have tried a decent moulded bra just prior to this article to get a feel for a few new styles... like the Taylor *sob*

6. Easier to dry

 Okay, this seems small, but moulded bras take an age to try.

6. Soft Cups can be T-shirt bras too!

I don't get the argument that people need a soft cup for t-shirts or to cover nipples. I always wear soft-cup bras and I frequently wear thin fabrics. Never once have I seen my nipples showing and I live in a cold country! Here's an example from a bra I own:


Picture from Figleaves, this is the Freya Naomi.

See where the seam running vertically reaches the lace? That is always where my nipple is and the seam always keeps it from popping up(!) I recently read someone describe The Scoop Method on another website (unfortunately I've forgotten the URL, if I remember I will of course link it) and she explained that that is exactly why we this method of putting on a bra is the best way (as opposed to stuffing  like a turkey! Her words, not mine).

I just gave a link to the must beautiful beige bra I have seen - I think it could work fine under my white shirts. 

Finally, seam fear. As I just said, I live in a cold country, and most t-shirts are slightly thicker than paper-thin (it's okay to splash out a non-paper thin t-shirt!) and usually I have to wear an under layer (vest, body or slip) under everything in Spring/Autumn/Winter (and sometimes the Summer too!). In such a case, if your seams were visible they certainly wouldn't be after all that layering!

Well if you aren't ripping off your sweaty mouldy... I mean moulded bra for a beautiful soft-cup, decorated with the finer lace panels finer than those on Kate Middleton's wedding dress, maybe I can't change you completely. I would implore you to try out a soft-cup bra before you make your conclusion! I think you might not be a convert, but wearing a soft cup bra for even a day or two a week will make you feel like a little bit sultry, yet laid back. You owe your boobs. ;)

In my next post in this challenge, I will play devil's advocate with myself and extol the virtue of moulded bras (I might need some help, my love of soft cups is pretty visible!). Don't let my Naomi hear this, she'd be crushed.


It's not what it looks like, she's not even in my size! I swear baby!

I'd like to add this post was tongue in cheek - there's nothing wrong with moulded/padded cups, they aren't my personal thing! Perhaps I will get in my friend as a guest post writer for the second half.

No comments:

Post a Comment